[P1] Moving the whole thing

John Moore johnpaulmoore at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 14 12:01:53 PDT 2003

Thanks for those who responded. I am researching ccc and it certainly
looks like the tool I need, but there are a couple of issues remaining
as I prepare for this:
1. Does the fact I am moving all this stuff from a G4 processor on the
iMac to a G3 on the iBook bring any issues I need to anticipate?
2. Forgive my ignorance here; I am still learning OSX. On my iBook, my
admin name and password are different from those in the iMac
established when the repair guys fixed my disk under warranty. I am a
little unclear whether I should restore the system on the iMac alone
when I partition the hd, but I know it will require me to enter the
name and password that is different from the one in the iBook system.
How will this affect the resulting new--needs to be bootable--partition
containing the iBook system with my older admin username and password?
Which will take primacy over the other? I hope this question makes
sense. I am the admin, only, user on both boxes.
3. The last time I tried firewiring a multi-gig file into my iMac, the
system either went to sleep or froze at one end or the other halfway
through and I only moved half the files. This might very well have been
a problem caused by the bad hard drive that has been replaced on my
iMac, but is there a preferred setting for sleep on the mounted
firewire device and the receiving device as well?
  4. Finally, some of the reviews of ccc say that to work properly, the
system on the iBook to be cloned needs to be built from the install
disks. This is the current point of confusion I am trying to
understand, since I want to save all the software, data, preferences,
email, bookmarks, etc. I have on the iBook and want to use all this
same stuff on the iMac. Being able to easily synchronize the two on an
ongoing basis would be a godsend, but I will happily settle for just
getting that system moved onto this box.

I hope these are not too vexing or ignorant questions for this list.
The list has been very useful for me in understanding my great 800 mhz
dual usb icebook, and I have tried to hold my end up by helping other
users with questions I have resolved. Thanks again all who respond and
responded. best, jpm

(Hoping to migrate entire system from my icebook to my 800mhz flat
panel 17" iMac.)