[P1] CCC problem

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Tue Oct 14 15:34:43 PDT 2003

Andrew Nye wrote the following:

> After a disaster with the HD in my late 2001 iBook, I tried restoring a
> clone made previously with CCC. via an external FW drive.
> However, booting from the iBook, I get the message:
>
> /etc/master .passwrd: no such file or directory
> this is repeated with the addition of:
> sh -2.05a   then a hash sign
>
> The iBook boots and runs quite happily from the FW drive.
>
> I've used Disk Utility to repair disk and permissions and fsck'd it.
>
> Any suggestions, please?

I may be mistaken but I believe that the system is looking for the invisible
file that should be in the directory /etc/master called .passwd (note
spelling) and does not find it therefore doesn't know if you are able to log
on or not...(no file to compare against therefore no one can log on...). The
file itself says that it is not used unless it is needed in single user mode
by booting (read problems) and that the NetInfo database is the normal place
for such items using Lookupd services...(again read that your Netinfo
Database is probably corrupt...)

The line afterwards is the typical shell prompt at the command line (I
believe using Bash shell) and is the typical situation where it now awaits
your next command...If I remember correctly with full root user capability
so be very very careful what you do in this mode or type...

When you boot from the FW drive can you use something like the program
BBEdit lite or similar to search for hidden files?(or Terminal if you are
comfortable with it...) IF so look in /etc/master for the appropriate file
on the FW disk and see if you can copy it to the affected disk (you will not
be able to view the file unless you have root privileges. Then run
permissions and all the other usual things to ensure that the system is okay
and hopefully then all will be well by the next boot.

Hopefully if I have incorrectly identified something above or not described
something rightly someone else more familiar with this area will speak
up...If you run into problems let us know and someone here should be able to
work something out...

HTH,

Richard