[P1] panther on 600MHZ ibook?

Ruffin Bailey rufbo1 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 18 09:07:22 PDT 2003

> Hello,
>
> Does it make sense to put panther on a 600MHZ 14" ibook (640MB ram, 20 GB HD)?  Will it slow my little G3 to crawl?

I believe we can safely say no.  Taking the graph from this page (strangely enough, on the topic of Quartz Extreme):

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quartzextreme/

... even non-QE capable Macs should see a slight increase in windows moving performance from "Jagwire" to Panther.  So if anything, this is some evidence that your 600 MHz 'book should run more quickly with 10.3 than 10.2.

Add to that an vastly optimized Preview and throw in Expose (though, like you, I'm wondering how fast that'll be on a slower (in my case, 500 MHz) iBook), and I think you've almost got enough to rationalize a purchase already, if not a true "deal".  I'm also interested in the quick user switching/user switching without logging out, but that's more of a reason to upgrade my G4 iMac at home than my iBook.  Personally I doubt I'll be shelling out for more than one license of Panther.

Ruffin Bailey

--
If you subscribe to email lists, you *need* The Digest Handler!!
For Mac OS X and Windows 98-XP  |  http://digestHandler.webhop.org/