laser printer suggestions

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Thu Oct 23 02:43:29 PDT 2003

>Also, I can get a cheap Apple LaserWriter 4/600PS -- except this doesn't
>have aUSB or ethernet connection.  Is there an adapter I could get that
>would allow this printer to work without much trouble?

I have just that printer. It requires an AppleTalk connection. You'll
need an Ethernet-LocalTalk adaptor. (Asante made the one I use.) If you
don't have any other devices using Ethernet (another Mac or PC, a DSL or
cable modem, etc), that's all. If you need to connect to more than one
other Ethernet device, you'll need an Ethernet hub or, if you want to
connect to a DSL or cable modem, an Ethernet router. You'll also need an
Apple serial cable to go between the Ethernet-LocalTalk adaptor and the
printer.

The LaserWriter 4/600PS uses the same toner cartridge as the HP 4L/4P.
The HP cartridge number is HP 92274A. There is a company here in Eugene,
OR, called "Redundant Cartridge," that remanufactures and recycles toner
cartridges. They are roughly half the cost of a new cartridge.

You'll find that the laser printer will be a LOT cheaper to operate than
the inkjet and will produce much better text. It may also be faster.

If you do get the LW 4/600PS, check to see if it has the memory
expansion. That will make it much more usable. It comes with 2 MB RAM and
can be upgraded to 6 MB. If it doesn't have the expansion, check with
various chip/RAM sellers, like Chip Merchants.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com