[P1] open Word and Excel in Appleworks?

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Thu Oct 30 07:44:20 PST 2003

> Check Microcenter. If you don't live near one, go to the website. They
> were selling the Educational version of Office for Mac (current
> version) For $119 and did not ask for or require educational
> credentials. I researched it as much as I could and could find nothing
> that would prevent it being used by non academics. Since I did not
> need it, I have not bought it so I can't swear about the restrictions.
> However, if you have kids in school, you qualify for an academic
> version so that would solve that.

The *last* thing I want to do is fire up another debate on the relative
merits of Microsoft and/or software licenses, but I will add that it
seems many software vendors will willingly sell you a copy of the
Student and Teacher Edition of Office without any proof whatsoever that
you meet the licensing requirements. (Amazon has it for just under
$150.) There's no mechanism for enforcement in the software package,
either.

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net