[P1] Wireless router setup

Charles Pearce charlesp at ksu.edu
Fri Oct 31 07:54:09 PST 2003

On Oct 31, 2003, at 8:20 AM, Keith Parker wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> Been reading the lists for some time and now I could use some help.
>
> I'm running a year old iBook 800 mhz, combo drive, 256mb ram, and an
> Airport
> card
>
> Does any one have any experience with setting up a D-Link 614+ wireless
> router ?
>
> After I plug the ethernet cable from my dsl modem into one of the
> router
> ports and then connect the other ethernet cable from the router into my
> ethernet port.  I'm supposed to direct my browser to an IP address
> 192.168.0.1 to get to the browser based setup.  My computer then tries
> dial and times out, warning me that "No dial tone was detected".
>
> This is my first attempt to set something like this up, is there a
> website
> that can walk me through this ?

That's the router and setup I have at home. The setup worked easily
when I did it. I think you need to go into your network control pane
and make sure that it is set for ethernet. If it is trying to dial,
then it is probably set for PPP. You may have to reset your location to
"automatic" or set up a new location with your ethernet as the path.

Once you're in, the web page for the setup is logical and easy to
follow. What the router does is it takes the IP that's assigned to you
from your ISP and uses that. The built-in DHCP server in the router
then assigns IPs to however many machines are connected either wired or
wirelessly. I've found that I occasionally have to reset the router by
unplugging the power, waiting for about 20 seconds and then plugging it
back in. Both of my kids' eMacs are wireless and I always know when to
reset the router when I hear, "Dad, I can't get on the internet!" That
only happens every couple of months or so.

Hope this helps.

Charles Pearce (charlesp at ksu.edu)