[P1] Imovie and iphoto what can they do?

George Slusher gslusher at themacisp.net
Thu Sep 4 00:17:20 PDT 2003

>What can i do with imovie? Can i use a digital camcorder and make videos?
>Can someone tell of all the stuff you can do with imovie, and iphoto. I
>have on idea. Thanks josh

Josh:

Yes, iMovie can be used with a digital camcorder that has a FireWire
connection. It can also be used with some analog-to-digital video capture
devices. You can use iMovie to edit movies, add effects, incorporate
stills, and more. It can then output the movie to a digital camcorder or
a QuickTime file. If you have a G4, you can use iDVD to make DVDs from
those movies. If you have Roxio's Toast, you can also make Video CDs,
which _most_ DVD players can also show. A video CD runs about an hour max
and can use regular CD-R media, rather than the more expensive DVD-R
media.

iPhoto does two basic things: it grabs digital photos from cameras (you
usually don't need a special driver for the camera, though some cameras
might) and lets you make albums, slideshows, and the like. It has some
basic editing capability, as well, but you'd be well advised to get
something like Photoshop Elements 2 or one of Microfrontier's products if
you want to do more.

It's a little much to expect people here to tell you "all the stuff you
can do with iMovie."
iMovie comes with a tutorial and an extensive help system. There are also
some very good books on the subject and that's where you should turn
next. You can find these at Amazon.com and often at Mac dealers and
larger bookstores locally. Some examples:

- The Macintosh iLife: An Interactive Guide to iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie,
and iDVD
by Jim Heid (This is a good place to start; it's not expensive and it
comes with a DVD of software, examples, and other neat stuff.)

- iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD Bible
by Bob LeVitus, Dennis R. Cohen

- iMovie 2: The Missing Manual
by David Pogue

- iMovie 3 for Mac OS X (Visual QuickStart Guide)
by Jeff Carlson

- iPhoto 2: The Missing Manual
by David Pogue, et al)

- iPhoto 2 for Mac OS X: Visual QuickStart Guide
by Adam C. Engst

Go to www.amazon.com and search in the books using "iMovie" in the title
and you'll find all of these and more.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR