[P1] dvd burning

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Thu Sep 4 09:36:35 PDT 2003

A burner that wanted to take 8 hours for an 8 minute segment would have
to burn at far, far below the minimum burn speed of 1x. Are you sure
that wasn't encoding? In order to get a movie on DVD you must encode it
in mpeg2, which takes an huge amount of time on slower machines,
especially the G3 which can't take advantage of the Altivec
optimisations of Apple's and Discreet's mpeg2 encoder.

Was the operation "encode and burn" in one step?

I takes my 600Mhz iBook about 20 minutes to copy a 30 minute dvd disk
image to a DVD-R using a Formac Divideon 2x DVD burner (including lead
out). The disk image was created using Final Cut Pro 3 and DVD Studio
Pro 1.5 on a dual 450 G4 and it was encoded into mpeg2 using Discreet
Media Cleaner 5 on the same machine.

We needed to burn 40 discs, so I did 20 on my iBook and the dual G4 did
the other 20 using its DVD burner.

By far the most time consuming part of creating a DVD is encoding - on
the dual G4 it took about 6 hours to encode 25-30 minutes.

Joe