[P1] Airport File Sharing, iBook-to-iBook

Joe Jones joham at jo-ham.com
Fri Sep 5 11:13:30 PDT 2003

On your "base station" iBook select "create network" from the AirPort
menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen. If you don't have the
little quarter circle radio wave icon for AirPort on your menu go to
System Preferences > Network and choose "airport" from the drop down
box (you can select between built in ethernet, modem and airport).

With the airrport settings now visible, pick the airport tab on the far
right and make sure the two checkboxes at the bottom are selected - one
will be 'show airport status in menu bar' and the other will be 'allow
this computer to create networks'.

With those checked you can select 'create network' from the menu at the
top of the screen.

You'll get a window to enter information. The network name will default
to your computer's name, but you can put anything you like in there.
You can choose to enable WEP if you like, but for file sharing between
two friends I wouldn't worry about it too much. The default settings
will enable you to get going just fine.

Once it's up and running the other iBook should detect it as a base
station and receive an ip address from it. If not you can specify the
network name and ip address by hand to join. You can see this info in
the menu at the top of the screen. You can also open the internet
connect app which will allow you to do this.

The other settings are the same as connecting via ethernet - enable
file sharing or the ftpd or any other service you need.

Joe