[P1] What type of drive is needed to make vcds?

George Slusher gslusher at rio.com
Sun Sep 7 00:46:39 PDT 2003

>So only select dvd players will play vcds, right? But all dvd players will
>play dvd movies right? How can you tell if vcds will play on a dvd player,
>what do you have to look for? How long of a movie can i put on a vcd vs a
>dvd? Thanks josh

You really ought to get a book.

MOST (nearly all current models) DVD players will play commercial Video
CDs. The problem is that "homemade" Video CDs made on some brands of
CD-Rs may not work on some DVD players--it has to do with the color dye
they use. (Not the color of the "top" surface.) The way to find out is to
make a Video CD and try it. The Toast manual suggests copying a
commercial Vided CD onto CD-R and CD-RW media. (It says that sometimes
the CD-RW media will work better than CD-R; the only way to find out is
to try it.) Then, take the disks with you to the video store and try them
in DVD players to see which ones they work in.

I made a very short Video CD from one of the clips in the iMovie tutorial
and burned it onto two different brands of CD-Rs. Both of them worked in
both of my DVD players, which are a couple of years old.

As to how long, a Video CD holds a bit over an hour of video & audio.
They are great for archiving an hour-long TV show, but not too good for
copying movies. One of the more interesting TV capture devices, EyeTV by
El Gato Software, captures in the compressed format used by Video CDs.
They say that it takes about 10 MB per minute. The DV (digital video)
stream used by iMovie and digital camcorders requires a lot more.

George Slusher/Eugene, OR
gslusher at rio.com