[P1] dvd burning

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Sun Sep 7 02:05:29 PDT 2003

> If it takes 6 hours on a 450, it would take 3 hours on a 1 Gig  and 1.5
> hours on a 2 Gig machine....relatively speaking.  And memory is also a
> factor so it might be fun to see what the top end G5 with dual
> processors and eight Gigs of Ram might do...  !

Not necessarily. There are several factors involved in how long it
takes to burn dvds. The processor, the burner and the software. There
are 2 pieces of software required. The software that actually creates
the dvd content, ie, premiere, imovie or final cut pro in the case of
video content. Then you have to take that video and encode it to dvd
format in something like iDVD or DVD studio pro. Either of these will
then be able to burn to dvd. However, if you do not have an internal
Apple installed DVD burner, iDVD will not work. In that case and for
external burners, you would have to use DVD Studio Pro to encode
(compress). If you are simply dealing with video that has been encoded
and mastered as a disk image, then Toast would burn it to dvd.

The normal time for encoding (compression) used to be 15 to 1 back in
the days of iDVD v.1.0. iDVD 3.0 can be as fast as 2 to 1 or as slow as
5 to 1. The difference depends on the processor speed, enough RAM for
background compression and the type of images that have to be
compressed.  If you don't have enough RAM for iDVD to start compression
in the background, it will take a lot longer to burn dvds. G4
processors and dual processors, with altivec have enough horsepower
(given enough RAM) that they will start compressing video as it is
added to iDVD instead of waiting for the whole thing to be assembled.
The faster the G4, the quicker the DVD is finished.

One thing to remember however, is that it takes a certain amount of
time to burn DVDs simply because of the large amt of data they hold. As
a reference, i used my G4 Quicksilver 1 GHz DP to burn a DVD as a data
backup. 4.4 GB of data burned in about 60 minutes even though it
required no compression time.

Another factor in compression time required is the length of the video.
iDVD will hold a max of 90 minutes. However, a 60 min video will
compress at 8bps and the 90 compresses at 5 bps or almost twice as long
as 60 min. Additionally, the longer video must compress more and
consequently will be at risk for more degradation as a result of the
tighter compression.

VCDs can be done a bit faster, much cheaper and easier if you are using
an iBook or a G3 processor. Using iMovie, save your project to
Quicktime (Full quality DV) and then use Toast to burn it as a VCD to a
CDRW and a CDR. Test it in the DVD player you want to use it with to
see which format works best in your player.

If the full quality DV is too large for a cd, export it as Quicktime-
CD-Rom, burn to both media and test in your player. In many players,
CDRW may give better results than CDR or DVD when using VCD format.