[P1] Alternatives to AppleCare?

Chris Beaumont chris at ncafe.com
Wed Sep 10 08:02:29 PDT 2003

There are two that I know of. I think that some credit cards double the
warrantee period for items bought with them, so if you used a gold or
platinum card to buy it originally, you may be in luck. Others sell
their laptops every year as the warantee expires and buy new ones, with
the new warrantee..

I would *not* want to be owning an ibook past one year without the
Applecare option!

My display went out a few weeks ago at around the 7 month marker, and
many of them have had similar display/hinge problems, I have heard..

If I was worried about that happening, I would be afraid to bring my
ibook out with me.. when my display went out it was in the middle of
checking email.. one minute on, the next minute black. Besides using it
like a normal person, I treat my ibook very well.. have a very nice
case for it.. never have dropped it or anything..

Laptops in general, and the ibook in particular are just fairly
fragile..

You may want to sell it and recoup that 60-70% of the purchase price,
if you can, then put that money into a new one, with AppleCare.

-Chris