[P1] Error

leigh lbdesigns at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 12 21:53:17 PDT 2003

On Sep 12, 2003, at 8:15 PM, Chris Weinkauf wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I wasnt even next to my computer the other day.  When I came back, the
> screen had grayed itself out and a large window came up in the middle
> that basically said "You are required to restart your computer..." in
> five for six different languages.  What is this and what could have
> caused it?  Is there any way to stop it from happening?  Is it
> something I did?

Hi Chris,

That is a kernel panic. There should be a panic.log in /Library/Logs/
... post it here and it should offer some clues as to what's happening
and what you might be able to do about it. (I work at Apple and can
"decode" kernel panics. Please include the entire text. If it is a big
file -- more than a few K, you can send it to me directly instead of to
the list.)

Kernel panics could be caused by any number of things, often
misbehaving drivers. Was there anything connected to the iBook? What
apps were running? What had you been doing? Which version of the OS?

Typically, they are not caused by something you did...