OS X 10.2.8 Chatter

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 24 04:59:04 PDT 2003

This AM when I booted up my drive began chattering like a popcorn
machine. I installed the dot 8 update yesterday.

So, I fixed my permissions and very little needed repair. Then I
restarted and held down Command+S and did the fsck repairs. Then I
restarted with Diskwarrior 3 and rebuilt the directory.

No more chattering.

These three steps are a standard procedure for me after any system
update. And probably not a bad thing to do every so often.

I was amused at watching Diskwarrior tell me how many checks it was
making and the total exceeded two million. The only thing faster is
George Bush spending tax money on Iraq.

One oddity, before rebuilding the directory DW told me there was not
enough contiguous free space to save the 40K or so old directory. (I
was brave and just ignored the save.) Perhaps I don't understand but
that seems to indicate that my drive does not have 10 or so sectors
that are contiguous which seems to say that I have a drive that really
needs to be optimized. However, DW did not include an optimizer with v3.

---
http://j-walk.com/blog/ digested: BMG is testing a new form of DRM in
the US. DRM prevents and restricts copy music files. The snag is that
the discs are unprotected and can be copied ad infinitum. The
developers are looking to fix this.   :)

<http://www.JackRodgers.com>
<http://www.lobatelacscale.com>
JackRodgers at earthlink.net