Jeff Duntemann's book (was Re: [P1] External Antennae for Airport)

W.S. Higgins higgins at adcon.fnal.gov
Mon Sep 29 08:34:57 PDT 2003

Richard McKay <richard.mckay1 at virgin.net> writes:

>PaulKurtz III wrote the following:
>
>> I'm toying with the idea now.  Look up "cantenna" on google.  It's an
>> antenna with a big tin can on the end.  It's supposed to work well as a
>> directional antenna.
>
>There was also a great article about wifi range extension methods in a
>recent C't magazine (German) and it also listed a couple of low cost
>solutions  including such a can and wire system (Issue 24/02 page 55)
>unfortunately not available online though.
>
>link to magazine website:
>
><http://www.heise.de/ct/>

Jeff Duntemann has written an excellent book on wireless networking:
*Jeff Duntemann's Drive-By Wi-Fi Guide*, from Paraglyph Press.   It's
particularly good on plain-language explanation of how WiFi works and
on adding antennas to extend the range or volume of your network.  He
has a couple of designs for homebrew antennas, and a discussion of
connectors, cables, and sources for them.  The book isn't
Mac-specific, but I learned a lot from it. See
<http://www.duntemann.com> for more information and for
post-publication updates to the book.

You may also want to look at Robert X. Cringeley's columns on pbs.org.
He's done a lot of experimenting with extending the range of IEEE
802.11b systems, and while he doesn't have detailed how-to info on his
site, he does link to a good selection of other sites.

Glenn Fleishman is the guru of homebrew wireless networks.  See
<http://glennf.com> for his articles and books.

--
     |       |   Bill Higgins   Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
     \       /
       -   -     Internet:                           higgins at fnal.gov
         ~       New! Improved! Now with THREE great neutrino flavors!