[P1] Mail suddenly quitting when putting SPAM in junk mail

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Mon Apr 5 06:47:07 PDT 2004

Checking for updates is always a good 1st step.
Sounds like your junk folder is corrupted.  This can happen to any of
the email folders actually.  3 solutions will often fix that:

1) Open mail and just click on the junk folder (do not put anything in
it) and go to Mailbox --> Rebuild
Sometimes its good to exit mail and open it again after this is done.
(Rebuild only works on the current folder, not all of your folders.
Move to each folder you want to fix and run the rebuild script.)

** standard disclaimer: editing/deleting files in the library folders
can lead to bad things.  Make sure you backup your Mail folder before
you attempt anything **

2)  remove some of the container files.
On your hard drive, go to {your home folder}\library\mail\mailboxes,
control click on the Junk Folder and choose "show package contents".
Delete everything but the mBox files.  Open mail.  The side effect on
this is all of the email in the folder is now set to Unread.

3) More drastic is delete the junk folder (loosing all the email in it)
and let Mail rebuild the folder.
On your hard drive, go to {your home folder}\library\mail\mailboxes
and delete the junk.mbox file