[P1] Mac OS 9.2.2

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Wed Apr 7 06:17:45 PDT 2004

Am 7/4/04 4:42 am schrieb "David Harris" unter
<dmichaelharris at earthlink.net>:

> I use a modem through the regular phone lines.  As for the TCP/IP, I am
> not sure where I would find these.

Apologies to the other listers for the length of this email...

First the obvious, you do have a telephone cable connected to the correct
port on the iBook and wall socket? (the ethernet and telephone jacks on the
iBook can look the same at first glance!)

That aside, excuse my ramblings but if I remember correctly you can correct
most connection errors by doing the following...

There are really 4 control fields that affect if and how you get online in
OS 9. These are Internet, Remote Access, TCP/IP and Modem. They can all be
found by clicking on the apple menu in the menu bar at the top of the
display.

As you mention that you use a modem to get on the internet, you will need
the details for this from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or
alternatively, if your other iBook with X is using the same modem connection
and ISP settings you want, you will only need to look in the System
Preferences/Network icon (also available by going to the Apple menu at the
top of the display of the X machine.

In OS 9, First go to the internet control panel and put in the details from
your ISP or X iBook if the same connection is used, for the different tabs,
such as what your email address and password are and what the pop and smtp
server names are if you are using a pop type account for example. At the
bottom of the web tab in internet control field check what web browser is
listed and ensure that this reflects your choice (i.e. Internet Explorer).

If it asks you to save the configuration changes say yes.

Next go to the Remote access control field

You will no doubt be using a registered user and need to put your ISP user
name and password here (user name is usually the first part of your email
address before the @ symbol) and type in the number of the ISP telephone
number that the modem is to dial.

Then save these changes if need be and go to the modem control field, pick
the modem connection you are using such as 'modem connection' or whatever is
appropriate (doing this from memory), then in the field listing the modem
choose the one that you are using (i.e. For the iBook it will probably be
apple internal v.90 or something like this. Leave the button for speaker set
to on and choose between tone and impulse types depending on your
connection. If you are unsure as to whether you need tone or impulse try
impulse first and if it doesn't work later try the tone setting.

Save these settings if asked and then open the TCP/IP control field, go to
the connection pull down menu and choose PPP, then under the configuration
method choose PPP server, you will then only need to type in the Dynamic
Name Server (DNS) IP numbers that you get from your ISP or other iBook and
should look something like 123.45.678.9 (there are usually two, one is
primary and a secondary, just type one and then press return and type the
other below it) The Domain name can be left blank if I remember correctly
but this might be supplied by your ISP as well (sometimes it is just the
later part of the ISP website, such as virgin.net

Now save this if asked and you should be good to go.

Simply type a website address in IE or other browser and the modem should
dial the number of your ISP and connect you (it may show a dialog box and
ask if this is okay to continue but again I am unsure as it has been a while
since using OS 9).

That should get you online and allow you to surf. To use the email you will
need to put the account settings in the MS program you are using. (either
Entourage, Outlook or Outlook Express). But that is another email worth
waiting for...let us know if you can get connected by using / altering the
above settings. There may be a few hitches still in detail points so have
patience, and let us know how you get on.

BTW, there is an internet connection assistant in OS 9 that if you can find
may make all of the above settings easier and do them in one program by
following the instructions...I can't remember where it is located but you
could try to search for this as well if the above seems daunting.

> I bought this unit and
> the previous setting and even the IE links were associated with the
> United Kingdom.  Would that make a difference considering I live in the
> United States?  I doubt it, but it was a thought.

It will make a difference, but if you follow the above points and save the
settings it won't matter after that.

> The mail program is MS Outlook on the iBook.  No luck there, either.
> but I > Let me know if you can bring me some insight.

This is good news actually, as it means that the settings above are just not
correct and once this is done your email should work as well (you may have
to make some settings there as well, but again more on that later, first try
to use the internet browser.

Cheers,

Richard