[P1] Plaxo and privacy

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Wed Apr 7 12:05:31 PDT 2004

Plaxo looks like a safe and secure place to post your contacts online.
I am sure their privacy statement (that I did not read) says that they
will never publish or sell names stored with in their database.  Thats
pretty much the standard song and dance.  Yahoo makes the same
statements...

Oh, wait, but dont you remember when, one day Yahoo just decides they
do not have enough revenue so they rewrote their privacy policy and
made a hidden setting where EVERY yahoo user is now subscribed to
"marketing mailings"?? (Its still there, log in to your Yahoo account
and in your settings, look for "edit your marketing preferences").  Its
been a while since I made a new account there so I do not remember if
they are still turned on by default still.

Plaxo can make you all the promises and stick to them in good business
faith.  What happens when Plaxo gets bought by someone else?  The
privacy policy of eMail-Harvester Inc. says that they can sell any mail
or email address they can get a hold of....

Personally, I would not do it but its just not a service that I am in
need of.  Ask me to update the contact info and I will give you my
555-fone number and my 123 main street address.  I also would not
become dependent on them making it the main place I housed all my
contact's info but really I am that way with any data.  I don't keep
stuff at the library...

Can't say that I am a big fan of me having to update some elses address
book of my info... you are the one wanting to do this new thing, you
update it.

If I were in your shoes, I would get some gel inserts...

Uber-paranoidly yours,
John Smith

p.s. - I still think html email is a waste of time and cyber space
p.p.s. - I think the black vans are starting to circle...