[P1] How to prevent iBook 500 from dying (formerly [P1] Red brick, green brick)

David Harris dmichaelharris at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 01:15:00 PDT 2004

> On Wednesday, April 7, 2004, at 03:07  AM, Christopher Hack wrote:
>
>> My dual-usb 2001 G3 500 12" ibook has died, and I have just bought a
>> late-2002 G3 800 12" on ebay. The plug from the power supply of my old
>> machine used to glow green whenever connected. The new one glows red
>> when
>> charging, then goes off completely - so you have no idea you are still
>> connected to the mains. Can anyone tell me if this is normal?
>> chris

Okay, if there is an issue at all, it may well be in the connection of
the power cord to the iBook.  My suggestion to you is, when you have
the power cord plugged into your iBook,  place your hand on the
connection just beyond the portion that glows and see if the light
comes back on.  If it does, then it may well be the cable contact wire
is sufficiently bent enough to break the connection.  I would borrow
another cable from some else with an 800 Mhz iBook to confirm.

I have a 700 Mhz iBook that glows orange(red) when charging and green
when plugged in.  It stays green when plugged in an recharged.

Hope this helps.

David