[P1] G3 iBook SE on a Wireless Net

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Tue Apr 13 13:04:30 PDT 2004

On Apr 13, 2004, at 2:25 PM, TDrulard at flowserve.com wrote:
> Here's my questions:
> 1) Does it have to be an Apple AirPort card, or are there other,
> cheaper
> options?

I am not sure if others will work but I would go with the apple card
just for compatibility.  Linksys and Netgear cards will not work in
apple stuff (or via usb) as they do not have the Mac drivers (yet??)
Before you spend the money, flip up your keyboard and make sure the
slot is there to install the card...

Just saw that Macsense (link below) offers some Mac Wireless cards...
but I have not used them...

> 2) Am I limited to 802.11B, or can I boost it to 802.11G (Extreme)?

The hardware has to support G for it to work, both the network cards
and the router.  Its not software/firmware upgradeable.

> 3) I think the wireless router can be 802.11G (for future capabilities)
> even if the iBook is 802.11B. Is that true?

Yep, most G routers also do B.

> 4) Does anyone have specific equipment suggestions that they know will
> work?

Obviously the 1st suggestion is the Apple Extreme base station.  You
have the software to config that already.
My iBook plays nice with my Linksys (Cisco) wrt54g G Wireless Router,
have seen it do well with Netgear as well.  Others on this list have
mentioned D-Link (usually the lower priced router)  but I have not
tried them.  Some other routers I have not tried but would "guess"
should work are Macsence (they were my 1st wired router and I did not
even have a mac),  3com/USRobotics and Buffalo.  These are easily
configured thru the web browser for Mac compatibility.

Links:
http://www.macsense.com/product/default.htm  <-- list MAC/OS X
compatible Wireless cards
http://www.macsense.com/product/broadband/wsr5000.html  <-- Wireless