Warranty if bought on eBay

Tom Burke tom_burke at mac.com
Tue Apr 20 10:19:09 PDT 2004

Dave

You wrote this a few days ago, to the iBook list:

"Does anyone know apple's warranty policy if you buy a computer on
ebay?  The way I understand it, if you buy a new apple computer in a
store, you get the standard 1 year warranty.  If you buy it used and it
is still under warranty, the remaining warranty can be transfered.
What I am wondering is how it works for an older model that is still
new (i.e. and older model that hasn't sold yet).  I'm looking at one on
ebay right now that says it is still brand new, but by the specs I can
tell it is the previous revision.  Will I still get the 1 year warranty
if I buy it on ebay?"

Are you in the UK? If so, are you actually wondering about the various
800 Mhz iBooks that have popped up on eBay.co.uk over the last couple
of weeks, that were listed as 'brand new'?

If so, the story behind them is this: during the latter part of March
and into April, PC World sold a small number of 800 Mhz G3 iBooks at a
reduced price. This was widely discussed on the 'Mac-UK' mailing list,
and several members of that list were able to get hold of examples of
these iBooks (including me). They were indeed, 'new', in the sense that
were supplied as such by PC World, and are not second-hand, although
they are last year's spec. Maybe they were lost in PC World's
warehouse. Maybe they were lost in Apple's warehouse. Maybe they were
returns to Apple (for whatever reason), have been checked by Apple, and
have now been returned to the retail chain. In my case I have an
absolutely standard receipt from PC World dated 26 March (or something
like that) and that's my effective 'start of warranty' date.

It looks as if some of the purchasers have decided that they don't
actually want the iBooks after all and have advertised them on eBay. So
that's how they can be old specification, and at the same time be
'brand new'.

Err... if you're not in the UK, my apologies and please ignore all the
ramblings above!

Tom Burke