Installing new harddrive on my iBook

KL ee7klt at sfsu.edu
Fri Apr 30 11:35:43 PDT 2004

Dear All,
I currently use an iBook Dual USB (Early 2001) with a 10GB IBM DJSA-210 hard
drive, and would like to upgrade to a larger hard drive. In particular, I am
interested in getting one with a higher spindle speed (5400 as opposed to
4200) and more cache, such as the Toshiba MK 6022GAX , 60 GB (HDD2184).
On Dealtime.com, this is listed as having a form factor of 2.5"x1/8H and
uses the DMA/ATA-100 interface while the djsa 210 is a 2.5" slim line and
uses the DMA/ATA-66 interface.

My questions are:

1) Seeing how the form factors seem to be different (what is a 'form-factor'
and how do the slim line and 1/8H differ?), would the toshiba be
compatible/installable in my iBook? It looks like the toshiba is slightly
thicker (.39in as opposed to .35in).

2)Would the higher speed interfaces of 100 or 133 be backwards compatible
with the 66?

3) Is it advisable to go up in spindle speed, since this might cause more
overheating than is 'recommended'?

4) Finally, has anyone ever done the upgrade by themselves? What are you
experiences/results?

Thanks much,
KL