[iBook] Was oops, now 2- or 3-prong connection?

Angus Wallace angus.wallace at flinders.edu.au
Tue Dec 14 00:56:48 PST 2004

-----------
The following is my opinion only - you should double-check everything I say
-----------

The Wattage is a limit, i.e. If my ibook needs a 40W powersupply, then any power
supply that can deliver that power will suit (provided it provides the correct
Voltage). so there should be no porblems using a PowerBook power supply on an
ibook.

Not sure about using the ibook supply for the powerbook. I'd ask apple about
that, because the answer depends on how 'smart' their power management hardware
is. It is possible that you could run the PowerBook from the ibook supply, or
charge its battery, but not both at the same time.. (because the ibook supply
can not deliver as much power as the powerbook supply)

(Despite my disclaimer, I wouldn't worry about plugging my ibook into a
powerbook supply, and visa versa. I think if Apple make the plugs the same,
then they're compatable - However, it's always possible that something 'bad'
_could_ happen..)

As to the third pin, that probably doesn't matter at all. It's an earth pin (I
assume - I live in Australia, and we don't have the same configuration as in
the US), and because the ibook is low power (it uses a power adapter), earthing
isn't necessary. (There are some important caveats here..). My ibook has two
plugs, one has 3 pins, and one has 2.. you shouldn't need to worry about that.

hth.
-Angus