[iBook] More on my mail crash troubles

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Tue Dec 14 07:10:50 PST 2004

I have often found that a corrupted mailbox can freeze up Mail on start
up.  What I will do to cure this is go to the \home\library\mail
folder, make a "backup" folder in \mail, move everything from with in
\mail into the backup folder, then restart mail.  When it comes up, it
will download ALL of the messages from the server again.  You will not
see any old email or any customized folders because they are safe in
the backup folder we just made.  Once this is done quit mail, then
start this loop:

- COPY 1 mailbox from \mail\backup\mailbox  to  \mail\mailbox
- run the Mail.app again
- open that mailbox and see if you can view your emails.  sometimes
going to the top menu Mailbox --> rebuild will fix a troubled mailbox.
(always good to have backups before you do this)
- Quit mail, go back to the top and repeat until you have all your
mailboxes back.

Once these are in, you can go to
\mail\backup\POP-<youremail at yourdomain>.  In here is stored your Inbox,
Sent, and Drafts folders.  Rename the inbox to something else (like
Inbox1 or OldInbox) and copy that to the \mail\mailbox folder.  The
newly named inbox will show up in your customized mailbox list.  Open
it like in the steps above.