[iBook] Having problem reconnecting to home network

Lon Lentz llentz88 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 22:46:00 PST 2004

   I have a G4 with an Airport Extreme card. I've had it a little over a
year and have been using it daily with my Linksys wap/router, the old B
version.

   I run WEP, with non-default ssid and channel. And everything's worked
great for the last year, till some guy moved in next door and threw up
a Linksys wap leaving it on the default ssid, default channel, and no
wep. And since modern macs are notoriously easy when it comes to waps
and will want to connect with anything in sight, I've had problems
seeing my own wap. Several times now I have been online only to
discover I have been connected to his wap.

   If I fill in the ssid and put in the wep key, I can connect. But my
ability to just turn it on and automatically connect has gone away.

   Can someone help me get my auto connect back, or point me in the
right direction?

   Thanks.