[iBook] crashes

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Dec 22 12:17:34 PST 2004

On 12/22/04 3:05 PM, "Don Distel" <don at distelphoto.com> wrote:

> While there seems to be a break in the action I though that I would
> post this problem that I have once in a while.  I am running a 15"
> powerbook 10.2.8 with 1 gig of ram.  This seems to happen only when I
> am using Nikon software which I have to use because my nikon camera is
> tethered to the book.  Here is what happens - The entire screen goes
> gray starting at the top and moving down to the bottom of the screen
> and there is a white box in the middle that says  -  You need to
> restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds
> or press the restart button.      I can not do anything until I do the
> restart.  Nothing is lost unless an image was being downloaded at the
> time of the crash.  This problem doesn't happen that often, it seems
> like only when a client is present.  I do repair permissions once a
> week and I run mac janitor every so often.    Thanks, Don
> www.distelphoto.com

You are describing a kernel panic which is probably being caused by the
Nikon software. If your panics occur only when you are using that software
it is a good bet that is the problem. Are you wedded to that software? I'm a
semi-pro photographer and I transfer files from my cameras using a card
reader and use iView MediaPro to organize them.

david