[iBook] Open Password Firmware App No longer works.

RP McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Tue Dec 28 02:56:51 PST 2004

On 27/12/04 9:03 pm, "Gregory Martinez" <gregmartinez at mac.com> wrote (in
part):

> I figured it out. If you select another disk in Startup Disk, it will boot up
> from that disk. It is only when someone inserts a disk or attaches a drive
> (without being able to select it in Startup Disk) that the Open Firmware
> Password  app will stop the disk from booting.

Hi Greg,

I was just wondering if the same thing happens when one uses the open
firmware password feature but not the GUI application for this? At what
stage does the GUI app become active and request the password? I would have
thought that the non GUI password feature would protect the machine hardware
that is booting and therefore it wouldn¹t matter what disk it was booting
later...Maybe the GUI app is stored on the disk and that is why there is
this situation. It would be interesting to hear from someone using the OF
Password feature but not using the GUI app for this feature.

That may provide a solution for you (albeit not the simplest or desired
one).

The only drawback to the non GUI app password protection is the fact that
you are in open firmware and whoever is trying to get access to the computer
can still do some irreparable damage if they are so inclined.

Cheers,

Richard