[P1] iBook to TV

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sun Feb 1 08:36:27 PST 2004

White iBooks can use the Apple Video Adapter

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71505/
wo/9C719OtYjpAr3NdfkYl1AJnyFWl/5.3.0.5.10.3.27.13.0

I just bought one to use to output cool screen saver video to my
digital camcorder, which I then use as cool backgrounds for my iDVD
projects.  At first, I thought that the quality looked cruddy, but when
you actually render it to DVD, it looks great.  I also used it to
capture an iChatAV videochat so that I could show a Windows friend how
it worked.  Was flawless.

However, you have to understand the limitations of this.  First, you're
not really going to be able to use a TV, which is naturally
low-quality, as a monitor if you do anything requiring reading text.
That INCLUDES menu text.  So don't expect sharp graphics.  You can play
DVDs out to your TV, but I haven't done that yet.  I HAVE played some
divx/avi movies, which look great on the LCD, but which look "digital"
on the video out.

Michael