Battery problem

Stan Marks swmarks at allvantage.com
Sat Feb 7 21:47:17 PST 2004

Hello, all...

I purchased my iBook 700 last May as an "open-box return" - essentially, a
new computer that had been opened and returned for refund or replacement.
This evening, I noticed that the battery icon in the menu bar had an "X" in
it, instead of the usual charge status indicator. When I checked the charge
indicator on the bottom of the battery, I got no response at all. I shut the
computer down, disconnected the power adapter, removed and then replaced the
battery. After reconnecting the power adapter and restarting the computer,
it takes several minutes of "recalculating" the charge time, but then it
shows the same "X" in the battery indicator. I shut down, again and reset
the PMU, only to get the same results.

Am I right that the battery dead...or is there something else I can try?

Stan Marks