[P1] Clean install of 10.3 over 10.3

david davidwb at spymac.com
Wed Feb 18 06:18:14 PST 2004

On 2/18/04 8:41 AM, "Jack Rodgers" <jackrodgers at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2004, at 6:30 PM, david wrote:
>
>> Some programs put items into the root Library's Application Support
>> and other folders.
>
> I installed the PocketMac latest version, didn't like it and used the
> uninstall. It left behind two unix application files which I located by
> searching for date installed. Don't know what they were or why it left
> them, perhaps to phone home?
>
> This leads me to feel that anyone testing a lot of shareware and
> commercial applications may have some troublesome files left behind.
> Can't prove it, just assuming.
>
> And I have always erased my drive and installed everything fresh when a
> new os version arrives. The clean install always runs faster and avoids
> all of the problems that others report. And, some items I just don't
> reinstall. This gets rid of all of the problems caused by bad guys,
> former crashes and conflicts.

This might waste some HD space over time but I don't think it is something
to be concerned about. Not like with Windows. First, we don't have a
Registry to get clogged up with bad entries or munged. Second, with only a
few exceptions the files that get left behind aren't going to be running
after the program's application file has been trashed. The only exceptions
that I know of would be prefpanes or files that actually alter the system
folder in some way. You can identify programs that might do this because
they require a restart. I make a note of every program that forces me to
restart after installing it.

With OS X being multi-user there is an issue that hasn't been resolved to my
satisfaction yet - programs installed to be used by everyone. Program
resources that will be used globally have to be put somewhere where all
users can access them and this means inside the application's folder or
inside a root level library. What I don't know though is how safe it is for
me to root around (pun intended) in the root library.