[P1] faxing in OSX.2: software, services, and fax machines

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 22 07:11:35 PST 2004

On 2/22/04 1:56 AM, "Jill Whenmouth" <jillwhenmouth at mac.com> wrote:

> First questions are to you who have used your computer for faxing.
>
> I read of Page Sender several times.   It sounds all good.  Any
> reservations? Any negatives?

Absolutely no reservations. I use my computer for faxing and Page Sender was
the first program for OSX that actually worked. And it works flawlessly. I
love it.

> Why Page Sender over FAXstf?
>
> Any negatives or reservations re FAXstf?

When OSX first came out FAXstf was about the only option and it stunk. It
was absolutely an awful, totally unreliable program. Frequently, people
would send me faxes, and FAXstf would just sleep through them. I actually
gave up using my iBook for faxing, and hooked up an old Wall Street to send
and receive.

Then Page Sender came out (some time in mid-2003?) and problem solved. It
even cost less than FAXstf­­at only $30 it was half the price.

By the way, I just got an email from them announcing a new update, to 3.2.
You can download it at http://www.smileonmymac.com/pagesender/download.html

> Next, feeback on fax services?
>
> He  will probably receive 120 - 150 faxes per month... from the u.s. to
> cozumel mexico.  And will need to send out possibly 40 faxes a month...

However, if he's going to do that much faxing, as you go on to say, a
standalone fax or e-faxing may well be a better option, but there are other
people on this list who can give you more advice there.

And finally, I'm guessing you're not talking about him using an iBook for
all this, since once he goes mobile, if he still wants to send and receive
faxes, he's going to need the world's longest phone cord.

Brian