Networking Problems

Seeker bobgir at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 14:37:40 PST 2004

    I have, repeatedly, tied my recently acquired, used iBook to my B&W G3
desktop (both computers described at the end of this email) via a Firewire
cable, activated file sharing in both, went to one or the other and chose
Connect to Server, typed in the name following the instructions under
Computer Name in the Sharing Panel of Preferences (e.g., for the iBook the
instructions are:  Other computers on your local subnet can reach your
computer at ibook.local) and successfully swapped filed both ways.

    Today I just cannot do it and I have no idea why.  I have plugged and
unplugged the firewire cable from both computers, restarted both, done
everything I can think of and I just can't get either one to recognize the
other.

    I repeatedly get a "Connection failed.  No response from the server.
Please try again" message.

    I'm desperate for suggestions.  Anyone have any???

    Thanks,
    Bob

********
B&W G3, Rev. 2
OS 10.3.2
832MB of RAM
Newer Technology G4 533Mhz ZIF Processor Upgrade
Internal Maxtor 40GB HD, 4 partitions
Internal IBM Deskstar 40GB HD, 4 partitions
Internal Zip drive
External LaCie FireWire CDRW drive
SGI 1600SW flat panel
Silicon Graphics 1600SW Flat Panel Display with
ProPerformance III Video card
ATA 128 RAGE Video card
********
Dual-USB, 500MHz G3 12" Ibook