Networking Solution

Seeker bobgir at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 07:35:25 PST 2004

    OK.  Figured it out and am reporting back.

    The TidBits article on this Subject had this to say:

> IP over FireWire extends and simplifies the Target Disk Mode notion and
> eliminates the need to put one Mac into a special state. You can daisy chain
> from 2 to 63 Macs together using standard FireWire cables, or link the
> computers via FireWire hubs.
>
> You enable IP over FireWire just like any other network connection:
> 1.
> Open System Preferences.
> 2.
> Click the Network preference pane.
> 3.
> Choose Network Port Configurations from the Show menu.
> 4.
> Click New.
> 5.
> Choose Built-in FireWire from the Port pop-up menu. You might name the service
> "IP over FireWire".
> 6.
> Click OK and then click Apply Now.
>
> Now, when you plug Macs together with FireWire cables, each computer assigns
> itself its own address, and the Rendezvous auto-discovery services enable each
> computer to see resources on other machines. You can even use Internet sharing
> (in the Sharing preference pane's Internet tab) to share an Internet
> connection over FireWire.

    It leaves out one or two very important steps, perhaps assuming that you
understand enough to take them: one is turn on file sharing at least in the
computer to which you are trying to network (the target computer).

    Next the question of what address to use to connect to the target
computer when you launch Connect to Server.

    I don't know how I came up with it, but this worked:  afp://>name of the
target computer taken from the Sharing panel, under the Computer Name<.

    For me it was afp://ibook.local.

    Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem.

    bob