[P1] Newbie question: iBook upgrades?

Brian Olesky brian4 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 27 11:38:03 PST 2004

On 2/27/04 11:00 AM, "Jean-Paul Thuot" <jeanpaul at zhenwu.org> wrote:

> I am completely new to Apple (if you discount computer science in grade
> 8 with apple ][e's) and have just this week purchased a G3 600 12.1"
> iBook (dual usb).
>
> I understand that I can (and must) upgrade the RAM from 128, but I'm
> wondering what else is upgradable in this system.  HD, CD-ROM, CPU?

I have the same one, and mine came with OSX 10.1 back when it was new. The
first question is, which OS did yours show up with­­the original, Jaguar, or
Panther? That might be your first area of upgrading, if it's still running
the original system.

Besides that, my next suggestion would be to go to System Preferences (under
the Apple logo at the top left), open "Software Updates" and let it show you
all the free updates that may have gathered while the previous owner had it
on the shelf. Downloading and installing these might be a good start.

As far as the rest, you should upgrade the ram, you could upgrade the
original 20 gig hard drive (or go external like I did), if it came with just
the CD-Rom drive a combo would be a nice upgrade, and when you start talking
about upgrading CPU's you're way over my head.

Hope this helps and welcome back to Mac,
Brian