Verizon DSL with Linksys Wireless Router

Thomas D. Kearns thomas.d.kearns at verizon.net
Sat Feb 28 08:44:48 PST 2004

I have Verizon DSL which works well.  I want to network my iBook with
my iMac and probably a cheap windoze laptop in the future.  Verizon
offers a Linksys system but specifically disclaims that it works with
Macs - see the end of the description below.  The primary reason I
would buy it is to get the free support.  Does anybody have any
experience with this issue with Verizon?  What if I get the cheap
windoze laptop and call Verizon to buy the Linksys, then add the Macs?
Any disadvantages of going this way?

Tom

"Linksys Wireless Router

  A wireless router is the main piece of equipment needed to set up your
home network.  It can connect up to four computers to a single DSL
connection.

  You will need to purchase one router for your household.

  Plus, Verizon Online offers 24/7 live technical support — so we'll be
there if you need help during installation and set up.

Technical Specifications for the Linksys Wireless Router:

Wireless range of operations up to 150 feet indoors and 300 feet
outdoors
Built-in firewall
4 Port10/100 Ethernet switch
Encryption
802.11 b wireless technology
Still have questions?  Visit our FAQs or learn more about specific
system requirements .

  The Linksys Wireless Router does not support Macintosh."