[P1] Networking, step by step

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Sun Feb 29 12:44:46 PST 2004

JMteacher at aol.com wrote:
> I've been following this discussion, hoping that my problem will be
> addresses.  I tried to access the site mentioned but got the message
> url not found.  Is there another site anyone can recommend?  I have
> attached my flat panel iMac with an ethernet cable to a Motorola
> WR450G router (both wired & wireless) & my ibook accesses the net
> wirelessly throught the router.  Do I need to attach the ibook with an
> eth.  cable to share a printer?  I can't seem to be able to do it.
> TIA

Two things to look for.  First, make sure the iMac is setup to share the
printer (assuming the printer is attached to the iMac).  Check System
Preferences->Sharing and make sure Printer Sharing is checked under the
Services tab.

Next, make sure both systems are on the same subnet.  I don't think
sharing works unless they are.  Presuming you are using a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0 (configurable in your router's DHCP service) and one of
your machines is on the 192.168.1 net, then the other can not be on the
192.168.3 net (or the 10.0.1 net, for that matter).  You will either
need to put them both on the same net, or widen your netmask to
255.255.252.0 so that both machines to appear on the same net (for the
192.168 example, not the 10.0 example).

With printer sharing turned on and both machines on the same net,
the printer should just show up in the printers list now.

I think you can get around this issue (machines not on the same net) if
you use IP printing, but that's another story for another day...

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator