[P1] Any tips for faster Internet performance?

Tom Legare Tom.Legare at comcast.net
Sun Feb 29 18:13:45 PST 2004

Dear List,

I have an iBook 500 running 10.2.8 maxed out with 640MB of RAM.  I
access my Cable Internet connection all the time using airport
(original Apple Airport Base Station) without using encryption.

I also have my company's Pentium III/1GHz Dell laptop feeding off the
same base station using an 80211.b card.  It uses Windows 2000.

Now I know that comparing a 1GHz Pentium III to a 500MHz G3 may not be
fair...... BUT.......

ANYTHING I do on the Internet with the Windows
laptop.....surfing....downloading.....email....... is snappier compared
to the iBook.  It seems at least 30% faster, maybe more.  It is really
noticeable.

Is there anything I can be checking on the iBook to see if I can
improve my Internet speed?  I have all the Apple updates installed that
are available, and there is no noticeable difference between using
Internet Explorer or Safari.

Thank you,

Tom