[P1] Mirroring while keeping the screen closed

david davidwb at spymac.com
Thu Jan 1 08:54:35 PST 2004

On Jan 1, 2004, jesse wrote:

> Not to argue, but is this really true? I have 2 points:
>
> 1) The aluminum 12" (as well as 15" and 17") is made to run with the
> lid down in extended desktop mode, and it runs a G4 at higher speeds.
> One would think those could get even hotter!

I'm sure the G4 PowerBooks do run hotter than the G3 iBooks. However the
PowerBooks are ventilated along the sides. Indeed, the new PowerBooks have
fans that increase the ventilation. The iBooks lack that ventilation.

> 2) If you lift your keyboard out, you'll notice that there's no
> ventilation on the bottom of the keyboard...it's a flat piece of
> plastic/metal. It seems like it would prevent air from flowing thru the
> keyboard...so maybe this isn't really a concern?

The keyboard acts as a heat sink.

> Does anyone disagree?

Jessie - you asked for advice and not a single poster said it was a good
idea - and at least two of us are consultant/techs. But hey - do what you
want. It is your iBook and your repair bill.