[P1] Remote controlling "Internet Connect"

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Sat Jan 10 14:48:16 PST 2004

> This old old ISDN modem has serial and USB links ... So, connected via
> USB.

Oh, I didn't know anyone used USB networking with Macs. The company I
work for makes cable modems and related products, and I wrote the manual
saying use Ethernet for Macs.

>> 3) type "sudo shutdown -h now" and enter your password when asked.
>> 4) Wait for Terminal to say "connection closed" then you can close
>> your iBook and go to sleep. ;-)
>
> Always having large respect when it comes to these sudo, rm, ssh stuff
> (basically having no clue besides that I am aware that I can do a lot
> of
> damage with it)  ... So .. What exactly does this do?  And could I
> also use
> this to reconnect in the morning ??

It shuts down the computer, basically. Same thing as pressing the
power key and hitting return when it asks "are you sure?" but you don't
have to be *at* the computer to do it. ;-)

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."