[P1] Remote controlling "Internet Connect"

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sun Jan 11 00:51:16 PST 2004

"sudo" -->  treat me as eligible to do root-like things
"shutdown" -->  just what it says; enter "man shutdown" at a
    Terminal command prompt to read the manual (man pages) for it
"-h" -->  actually halt = full shutdown, which is distinct from a
    variety of other versions of "shutting down".
"now" -->  do it without delay, an alternative being to specify
    some future time for it to happen (time value as on the remote
    machine, not the one from which you are ssh'ing, of course)

Basically, a command-line way to do what you do when you select
"Shut Down" in GUI.

The "-r" option to shutdown is supposed to reboot the remote unit
at the specified time, but I can't say anything about this working
or not on Macs.

It is possible to set up ssh'ing between two computers so you don't
have to do the password stuff each time, but this is tricky and less
secure when used in less restricted situations than your home situation.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Peter Nacken wrote:

 . . .