[P1] Logic board, estimates of probability of success of

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Tue Jan 13 09:43:57 PST 2004

Well, I've resolved it.

It was diagnosed as logic board failure, though the machine tended to
boot for the technician. It will boot in target disk mode according to
him, also. I was quoted $475 for part and $60 to install. $530.
Information here was very high probability of the fix not succeeding
long term. Information on another discussion group (not iBook specific)
was it had a high, but far from perfect (about 85%) probability of
succeeding. My own reading had me feeling a bit lower than 85%, but not
as pessimistic. I decided that my best estimate of the fix succeeding
was 50%. Not great.

So, I decided to spring for a new G4 iBook. Purchased it yesterday. 12
inch, 800 Mhz, lovely machine. $999 at educational discount. That price
seemed to be the best solution given an estimate of only 50% for the
fix succeeding on the old machine.

Over the next few days I'll be connecting the old machine to the new
one to offload various files.

Paul