[P1] sbc yahoo dsl

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Tue Jan 13 21:16:35 PST 2004

I have set up dsl with sbc/yahoo for a business.  Set up
for "static" IP was a real hassle, partly because the IP
wasn't really static and SBC didn't really know how to do
it.  This was going from their dsl modem to a typical
firewalling router, before getting to the business network.
I finally got a reliable recipe, but it was a hassle.
Regular setups, like for a home user, would be simpler, but
would still have the complexity of PPPoE, which is trickier
than cable.  There have been a few problems when they make
changes to their PPPoE equipment, too, disconnection and
trouble reconnecting.  Haven't used the "yahoo" stuff.

Speeds were technologically limited to the advertised speeds,
and actually even less due to the bandwidth used by the PPPoe
stuff (sort of stingy on their part), even tho the hardware
and even their circuitry could have handled higher speeds.
I'd recommend cable if you can get it, lots simpler and
the speed you can get is a lot less restricted.  At my
main cable location, I've gotten up to 400+KB/sec, which
is like 4Mb/sec, downloads late at night when noone else
is using the cable company local subnet, whereas the
dsl just slogs along at whatever it is capped at.  (Of
course download speeds arelimited by upload speed at
wherever you're downloading from, these high speeds are
from akami servers.)

 . . .