[P1] Logic board, estimates of probability of success of repair

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Thu Jan 15 05:31:07 PST 2004

Paul Bernhardt wrote:
> Which is why I asked a general question for all to respond: What is the
> probability of the repair succeeding. I expect also those who have
> repairs go bad will be squeakier than those who have it succeed.
>
> Paul

I'm on my forth logic board (three failures) in 2 years.  I believe
the last failure was caused by stress applied to the logic board by
the way I was carrying it.  I had the lid open and had it in one hand
like a dinner plate (thumb on top right corner, fingers supporting
botton).  I was walking around with it checking the wireless signal
strength at different locations in the house when the screen went
to vertical bars.  A reboot fixed it, but over the next few days
it would freak out on me on an increasingly frequent basis.  I found
that a slight tap/slap on the lower left corner would occasionally
bring it back to life without having to reboot.  But this worked less
and less often until eventually even a reboot would not fix it.

The distressing part was that I was away on vacation when this happened.
Luckily I was able to borrow time on my sister's iMac during the rest
of my visit.

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator