[P1] sbc yahoo dsl

J.C. Webber III jcw at kingoblio.com
Thu Jan 15 06:29:16 PST 2004

Jeanne Douglas wrote:

> I don't really know what the advantage of static IP over dynamic IP
> is; I just know it's considered enough better that people pay extra to
> get it, so I brag about it.

> Jeanne Douglas
> --
> ----
> ANAHEIM ANGELS
> 2002 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS

The advantage is that you can get a domainname and host it from your own
machines.  You can put up your own webpages from your own workstation.
You can run your own mail server.  For this to work, though, you need to
enable 'port forwarding' to send all port 80 connections to your
internal machine's ipaddress for the webserver, and port 25 for your
mail server.  You can also enable port 22 and be able to reach your
machine via ssh when you are away from home.

Cool stuff...

--
J.C. Webber III
Technical Lead, Unix System Administrator