[P1] Audio in : Newbie common Q

Christian Dupuis cdupuis at lcc.ca
Thu Jan 15 17:36:14 PST 2004

On 14-Jan-04, at 3:09 PM, Gene Merritt wrote:

> Christian...offhand, do you happen to know the diff between the item
> you recommended and Griffin's Powerwave
> (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerwave/index.html)? I
> know there's a big price diff $99.99 vs $179.95.
>
> I was just getting myself ready to make that purchase.
>
> Thanx,
> Gene

The Griffin Powerwave  has regular stereo RCA-type line outs and stereo
mini plug connectors. Generally, this setup will work OK for consumer
applications where you don't mind having some possible noise in the
recording: it's unbalanced audio, so the longer the cord between the
Powerwave & the audio source - be it a tape deck, sound system aux
in/out, or inexpensive mike, the bigger the chance to pick up static or
RF interference. And you can't take sound in from pro sound equipment,
using either shielded 1/4 plugs or XLR connectors (unless you buy
adaptors which, again, are subject to interference and noise).

The MobilePRE has hardware volume controls for gain, balanced audio
support and you can use studio microphones - either with out without
phantom power - on it. In my case, I've used it to record sound
sessions from live video tapings, by plugging myself in to the audio
out of mixing consoles or auditorium sound systems. I've also used the
XLR connectivity to feed great audio out from the mac to auditoriums.

If you're going to be mostly spending your time transfering old hissy
records or tapes to CD, then by all means you can get the Griffin
Powerwave; also, if you want a small audio amplifier for Apple Pro
Speakers, the Powerwave is really cool. If, however, you want to do
pristine, crystal clear voice recording - or musical instruments -  and
you want to do some killer voice input to use with Garage Band, Digital
Performer, Peak or any other app and use a good XLR microphone, then
you might want to consider the M-Audio unit instead.

The MobilePRE is probably one of the cheapest pro-level USB audio
interfaces I've seen. That, a good pair of headphones, an inexpensive
Shure XLR mike and an inexpensive mixer, and you've pretty much got the
basis for your own little audio-studio playground, Fun stuff.

Chris