[P1] sbc yahoo dsl

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sat Jan 17 13:24:24 PST 2004

For hardware VPN each box is set up to connect to a specific IP
address an the other end.  If one end's access provider changes
the IP address assigned to the account, that end can't be accessed
any more.  Further, the other end VPN box may start polling whoever
now has the other end's old IP addresss, looking to make a
connection to them.

Is your setup that your company has a static IP address, you always
initiate a VPN connection from your end, and your access provider
doesn't change your dynamic IP address during an active session
(typical rules for a dynamic IP)?  In such case, your IP would be
fixed for as long as a VPN session would last, and the other end
would be just plain fixed.

Have you even done any regular checking to see how often you are
assigned a new IP?  My  home cable provider had me assigned the
same dynamic IP for over a year at one time.  When it changed,
I had the impression it was because of increased cable internet
use locally, so the cable co changed its subnetting scheme to
smaller subnets; and since then my IP changes more often.

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Barry Lyden wrote:

> Are you sure?
> At home, I use a cable modem with a dynamic IP, DHCP on my router, and
> VPN on the laptop to connect to my company's private network. Works
> like a charm.

 . . .