Disappearing windows and Safari is stuck

Eric Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 06:33:03 PST 2004

I overloaded my hard drive a while back and started losing stuff and
having things act funny.

I managed to free up some space and got most things working right,
but I have a couple of persistent problems and I don't know why and
therefore how to fix them.

First, Safari stopped working. The program opens, but 9 times out of
10, when it is directed to load a web page from a URL it gets stuck
about half way into opening the page and I get an interminable
spinning beach ball. First I trashed the prefs file and tried again,
but that didn't work. Then I saved my bookmarks and trashed
everything else I could find on the hard drive that was related to
Safari. Then I reinstalled Safari from scratch but it still behaves
the same. Now I have gone back to Mozilla without any trouble.

Then I have a couple of programs that lost their windows, Sticky
Brain from Chronos, and Free Cell. Free Cell only has one window, and
when the program opens it acts like there is a window there, but its
not. Same for Sticky Brain, it has a browser window and though the
other windows show up and the program reports that the browser window
is open, it is not visible.

I was using Audion for playing mp3's and it had a window that lost
the top where the buttons are up under the menu bar too. But I
eventually solved that one by transferring the contents of the
playlist to a new window and trashing the old playlist, so that
window went away.

Funny stuff, eh? This is on a 12 inch snow/dual USB with 640 MB and a
15 gig hard drive running Jaguar.