[P1] Reading word documents

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Mon Jan 26 16:13:27 PST 2004

On Jan 26, 2004, at 4:01 PM, Angus Wallace wrote:

> Just out of curiosity (my ibook hasn't arrived - yet  ;-): how well do
> the two programs (TextEdit and AppleWorks) read *.doc files? What about
> complicated files with tables of contents, embedded
> graphs/pictures/tables, hyperlinks and complicated formatting?
>
> Cheers,
> -Angus

A general response:

If you need to be able to see exactly what was intended in a Word
document (the things you mentioned above, and exact line and page
breaks) there is nothing that will do it as well as Word. Even Word
won't always show you precisely what the document's author sees, given
different margin settings, fonts, etc.

If all you need is to see the page elements (text, graphics, etc.) then
you have more choices. If you need precision (e.g., if you are
editing/proofreading, or contributing to a final document for
printing/publication, then stick with Word.

Regards,

Harry Corsover

     Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
	CyberWize: The Home Business Solution
	Amazing Travel * Health * Tax Benefits
            <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
       <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562