[P1] Reading word documents

Larry Kollar kollar at alltel.net
Mon Jan 26 19:38:04 PST 2004

> ... how well do
> the two programs (TextEdit and AppleWorks) read *.doc files? What about
> complicated files with tables of contents, embedded
> graphs/pictures/tables, hyperlinks and complicated formatting?

I don't have Panther yet, so I can't say how well TextEdit does. I've
had AppleWorks choke on some nasty Word files (specs from engineers at
work). They had tables spilling out of the margins, and other
formatting ugggglies.

OpenOffice has done a very good job of displaying some of those files
-- in fact, with one really horrid file OOo did a better job of
displaying it (but not printing) than Word.

--
Larry Kollar    k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
"The hardest part of all this is the part that requires thinking."