Requesting advice choosing a printer, etc

Jill Whenmouth jillwhenmouth at mac.com
Thu Jan 29 04:25:36 PST 2004

I would greatly appreciate some perspectives, opinions, experiences,
thoughts, general Brainstorming, from any of you that are willing.

My young adult son joined the ranks of mac owners with his 12" ibook,  last
august.  Running OSX something, but not yet 10.3.  He has become a new
member of apple fandom and loyalty.

Now he is about to set up a small recreational diving business, working the
office aspect out of his home in a small space,  a desk and file cabinet.

He will need a printer, and he will need to fax, copy (not lots of multiple
copies, just the ocassional copy), and scan.

The scan function can't be sheet fed.  (will scan diving magazines, books,
and diving photos - figure a newsletter in the future).

 Low budget: (inkjet is fine). Compatable w OS10.3 (because he will get to
10.3 inevitably).  Run quietly  (late night work in proximity to sleeping
wife ).  Ink replacement costs are always an issue to be wary of.

My first thought was to get one of the multi-function printers, but some of
them are monstrously big, and
1. he doesn't have the space and
2. they look so unaesthetic, esp next to the small ibook.

Can these requirements be achieved in a printer that is smaller, that is
aesthetic as well as functional?

OR how about a combo of two units:  a slim scanner and a multi function
printer that could print, copy and fax, but not scan.

I was thinking maybe the canon lide 80.  It is slim and os 10.3 compatable.
Its lid extends, for scanning books. It comes w Adobe photoshop elements v.2
.... which I am guessing (I haven't used any of this  software )  might help
in creating a future newsletter, working with digital photos (a digital
camera, entry level, is maybe coming from his dad ...just 2mpx, enough, i
understand for newsletters, but ONE day there will be a better camera, maybe
an underwater camera).
(He will also be creating a webpage... (with help) ...  I could imagine his
getting digital photos from customers and posting them... which might or
might not involve the scanner? I am having a hard time figuring needs in
this area.... quality needs and maybe this scanner would be better quality
than  a low end multi function printer w scanner included?)
The canon lide looks like it would do the work,  take up little space, and
look good.

But then is there a multi function smaller, aesthetic printer to print,
copy, and FAX to complete the needed functions and fit all the other
requirements?

That's pretty much as far as I got in thinking this through (sorry for the
length, but I wanted to give you the full scenario), and now I am hoping
that some of you will have some suggestions, strategies...  I want to know
as much as possible.  (Why me, and not him? Because h e is new to mac and
computers, is in mexico with less choice and access -we will take the
peripherals to him as luggage-  and because I love doing this stuff!)
Thanks!!!